Tuesday, November 15, 2011

#18: Attend 5 performances at the Kennedy Center

Last night I attended my fifth performance at the Kennedy Center since starting the Quarterlife Quest - the Washington National Opera's Lucia di Lammermoor. This opera was dark, disturbing, and really beautifully performed.

Before the show, I caught about 20 minutes of the Millennium Stage performance. These nightly free shows can be hit or miss (they are free after all!), but last night's show hit it out of the park! The U.S. Army Blues were onstage participating in the Millennium Stage's jazz series, going on through November 26. The music was so fun and upbeat - folks couldn't help but get up and dance!


As for the opera itself, the third act's "Mad Scene" made the whole show worthwhile, in my opinion. In addition to the beautiful singing and the haunting notes of the Glass Harmonica, the costume and set designs were truly stand outs. Set in shades of black and grey to convey the gloom and hopelessness of Lucia's situation, the third act's blood splatters stood out even from (nearly) the back of the theater.


My visits to the Kennedy Center have been one of the most rewarding things I've done since starting the quest a year and a half ago. I am truly blessed to live in D.C., with access to some of the most spectacular art in the nation. Although I'm crossing #18 off of my list today, I plan to spend many more evenings soaking up culture at the Kennedy Center.


No comments:

Post a Comment