Sunday, March 11, 2012

In Progress - #20: Read 15 of the All-TIME 100 Novels that I haven’t already

During a recent trip to the Petworth Library, I picked up A Clockwork Orange because it was on display at the end of a shelf and because I knew it had been hovering on the cusp of my All-TIME novel selections. Since I recently decided to give up on my second go at Faulkner, I needed to replace The Sound and The Fury with something that would keep my interest past page 6 - and Anthony Burgess' A Clockwork Orange fit the bill.

Many of the books I've read on this quest have movie counterparts - and I've seen most of them (usually after reading the book). I know that Stanley Kubrick's adaptation of A Clockwork Orange is a cult classic, but I can assure you - no matter how interesting I found the book, there is no way I'm watching this movie. Reading about the "rehabilitation" of an ultra violent young punk is one thing, watching it played out on the big screen is something else entirely.

The book itself was surprisingly good. It's written using a slang created for the novel, which takes some getting used to, but is ultimately effective at immersing the reader in the main character's sociopathic thoughts. Much like Lolita, the main character - Alex - is one with whom the reader can't sympathize, but ultimately comes to understand.

What's next on my list? Something lighter, I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment