Saturday, February 19, 2011

In Progress - #20: Read 15 of the All-TIME 100 Novels

I'll admit, I selected Never Let Me Go from the list of All-TIME Novels because I have a great big girl crush on Carey Mulligan. I loved her in An Education, I adore her pixie haircut and ladylike red carpet looks, and I can't wait to see her play the Great Gatsby's Daisy Buchanan. She starred alongside Keira Knightley and Andrew Garfield in last year's film adaptation of the book, so I added the novel to to my list, knowing I'd reward myself with the movie after I finished the book.

I didn't realize I'd finish the book in a single day. (Granted, that single day was a 15+ hour day spent traveling from DC to LA.)

Author Kazuo Ishiguro captured me from the first page and had me so hooked, I skipped my in-flight movie to read it. I even picked it up during the commercial breaks in last night's episode of Community, reading a few pages during each break in the show. 

The story has the same sci-fi elements that made me enjoy Brave New World and The Giver back in school, but at the same it is so familiar and heart-wrenching. I'm thankful I reached the book's end in the solitude of my hotel room, because the last pages definitely had me in tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment