Saturday, December 10, 2011

#22: Visit a different museum every month for a year

On Friday, I had the privilege of visiting Mount Vernon along with many of the other new staff members from The Heritage Foundation. Taking a day to visit the home of George Washington - a farmer, military hero, and statesman - was a wonderful opportunity to revisit the values and founding principles that make America exceptional.

Although I'd never visited the presidential home before, I was especially excited to see Mount Vernon decked out for Christmas. The greenery, holiday dessert spreads, and Christmas trees in the Inn and the museum didn't disappoint. (No Christmas tree in the mansion, though. Mount Vernon stays true to the period!)

One interesting tradition that I'd never heard of was the Mount Vernon Christmas Camel. Per the Mount Vernon website:
In 1787, George Washington paid 18 shillings to bring a camel to Mount Vernon for his guests’ enjoyment. During Christmas at Mount Vernon, visitors can meet Aladdin the camel.
Aladdin proved to be a very social camel. You can see my encounters with Aladdin, as well as my other Mount Vernon pictures, below.




No comments:

Post a Comment