Thursday, December 29, 2011

In Progress - #20: Read 15 of the All-TIME 100 Novels that I haven’t already

On Tuesday I did something I haven't done since I read Stephen King's It back in high school - I stayed up past my "bed time" (and past the point of tiredness) to finish a book. This time it was for Toni Morrison's Beloved.

My quick and dirty review: this book is gripping, artfully written, and absolutely haunting. Seriously, I'm still thinking about the book and it's been two days since I finished it.

It's no surprise that Beloved won the Pulitzer Prize, or that Toni Morrison has gone on to be a Nobel Prize winner and a "national treasure." I'm definitely adding her to my list of favorite writers (joining Isabel Allende, C.S. Lewis, and - of course - Mr. King), and I'm eager to read more of her works.

I'm thinking about checking out the movie, but I'm a little nervous that film won't do the book justice and I'd hate to tarnish this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment