Sunday, January 1, 2012

In Progress - #64: Go on a three-month spending hiatus

Happy New Year, friends! When this post goes live, I'll still be at Lake Anna, celebrating the New Year with the husband and a few of our favorite D.C friends. I will also have officially started one of the most daunting items on my list - the three-month spending hiatus.

Inspired by ladies like Joslyn at Simple Lovely and the Enough study I took part in this fall, I'm looking at the next 90 days as a chance to reset and re-align my priorities. In 2012 I want to mindfully simplify my life, and taking a break from consumption seems like a great way to kick-start this new mentality.

During the next 90 days, I'm still going to buy necessities. For example, if my black, wear-them-everyday-on-my-commute flats finally fall apart (which is likely), or if my umbrella bites the dust, I'll replace them. That beautiful new shade of Clinique lipstick, or my morning peppermint mocha - not a necessity.

I've also been on a long quest for a new black winter coat (see #72), and if I come across that holy grail between now and April 1, I'm giving myself permission to buy it. Though, frankly, I'm so picky in this department I don't anticipate finding it in the next three months.

Wish me luck, and good luck with all of your resolutions for 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment