Wednesday, March 28, 2012

#89: Go to a midnight movie premiere

Last spring, I read - make that devoured - the Hunger Games trilogy. I was so totally drawn into these books that I convinced Steven to read them as well, just so I could have conversations with him about them. Naturally, when I heard the books were being turned into the next blockbuster film franchise, I put them on my "must see" list. And when I realized the teen target demographic would lead to a midnight premiere, I realized I had the means to cross #89 off of my list.

I must say, Steven was a total trooper about this. I pulled a not-completely-intentional bait and switch, buying our tickets before the other friends in our group had given a solid confirmation, but he took it in stride and still agreed to brave the theater with me on Thursday night.

This wasn't my first midnight premiere - just the first in a long time. Definitely the first since I've started working in the professional realm. I was ready for lengthy lines of costumed teens, so you can imagine my surprise when I showed up to my theater at 10 p.m., breezed up to the kiosk, and collected my tickets without even glimpsing a velvet rope. I asked the ticket taker whether she expected any lines, she pointed to four teens sitting on the floor next to Theater 1 and said "not really."

Steven and I quickly adapted and took advantage of the short line, heading over to Cheesecake Factory so I could caffeinate. (I'd been up and going since my 6 a.m. yoga class!) We waltzed back over to the theater when Cheesecake Factory closed at 11, headed straight to Theater 5, and picked our seats - from a totally empty theater. Seriously.

In all, about 40 people filed in at a quarter of midnight, making for a much quieter - and frankly, much more enjoyable - experience than either of us expected.

The movie was completely worth the late "curtain call" - it stayed true enough to the book to win over Suzanne Collins' fans, and it was really wonderful to see the pages come to life on-screen. There were a few pieces I wish had been better portrayed (but no spoilers here), but overall, I'm glad we braved the premiere. And I'm proud to say I survived the next day at work as well, getting lots done and even making it to my 9 a.m. meeting alert and on time!

No comments:

Post a Comment