Friday, March 30, 2012

In Progress - #32: Send one handwritten note per month for a year

So I'm actually three months into this 12-month to-do. It's one that I've been baby-stepping into but can already tell I'm going to enjoy.

You see, I still get excited over mail. Even though it's usually bills or junk, sometimes it isn't. Sometimes it's a Pottery Barn catalog (!) or - if I'm really lucky - one of the magazines I subscribe to (Better Homes & Gardens or Traditional Home). And every once in a while, it's an honest-to-goodness note from someone I know and love.

This year, I'm trying to do a better job of sending those gems - handwritten notes - to people I love, admire, or care about. Here's how it's been going so far:
  • In January, I decided to start the year with some good karma and sent a whole slew of notes to folks I admire professionally. Many of those have turned into fun coffee dates, and I've been having a really wonderful, productive start to my year because of it.
  • In February, I sent Valentines cards to all of the elderly and home-bound folks who are part of my local church congregation (we call them STARS). Soon after, I heard from a woman who went to visit our STARS that a few of them had my cards tacked up on the walls in their hospital rooms and retirement homes.
  • Today I'm dropping a note in the mail for a very special momma-to-be back in Texas. (I don't want to give away her name here because I want the note to be a fun surprise!)
What's the last handwritten note you received?

No comments:

Post a Comment